In different application, many times, we need to generate serial numbers to uniquely identify a record. This is not same as Row Id used in Siebel which are nominal numbers.
It can be used to child object like Evidences and Attachments for example for first record of Evidence, the Serial number generated can be like NY-2B-2-1. Similarly, if someone is creating first record of same parent but for attachment, the serial number will be NY-2B-2-2. The serial number will get generated as soon as you save the record.
How to Configure Serialization Rules in Tools
First, you need to configure a counter table and Business Component(this is to track counter). If anytime you have configured the Sequence Number, I have strong feeling that the logic it follow is the same.
In the following example, you add INS Claims as a new serialization business object. The primary business component for this business object is INS Claims.
- Log in to Siebel Tools as an administrator.
- Navigate to Object Explorer, then Table and query for the S_CASE_SEQ_CTR table.
- Navigate to Table, then Column and query for the CASE_SEQ_NUM column.
- Copy the CASE_SEQ_NUM record.
- Name the new column record CLAIM_SEQ_NUM and give it a unique user name like, for example, Claim Sequence Number
- Navigate to Object Explorer, then Business Component and query for the PUB Counter business component.
- Navigate to Business Component, then Field and query for the Case Counter record.
- Copy the Case Counter record.
- Name the new record Ur Entity Counter and in the Column field, enter CLAIM_SEQ_NUM.
- Navigate to Object Explorer, then Table and query for the S_INS_CLAIM table.
- Create two new column records called SERIAL_NUM and LOCAL_SEQ_NUM.To get the correct values for these two columns, query the S_CASE table for the same columns.
- Navigate to Object Explorer, then Business Component and query for the INS Claims business component.
- Navigate to Business Component, then Field and create two new field records called Serial Number and Local Counter. To get the correct values for these two fields, query the HLS Case business component for the same fields.
- Navigate to Business Component, then Business Component User Prop and add the following user property records.
- SerializationAutoGenerate and value as 'Y'
- SerializationBO and value as 'INS Claims'
- SerializationBC and value as 'INS Claims'
- SerializationChildBO and value as 'INS Claims'
- Compile the edited projects and replace the Siebel Repository File (SRF).
Perform the following procedure to add Claim Counter to the Type drop-down list for attributes in the Serialization Rules view in the Administration - Case screen.
- Navigate to the Administration - Data screen, then the List of Values view.
- Query for PUB_CASE_RULE_ATTRIBUTE_TYPE.All the options displayed in the Type drop-down list are returned.
- Create a new record with Claim Counter as the Display Value.
- Go to the Administration - Case screen, then the Serialization Rules view.
- In the Serialization Rules list, create a new record and complete the fields as appropriate.
- Name: Name of the rule.
- Business Object: The business object on which the rule is based.
- Business Component: The business component containing the fields on which the rule is based.
- Create a new record in below Attribute List Applet.
- Sequence: Sequence number for the Serial Number.The 1st sequence number Attribute will be on the LHS of the Serial Number.
- Type: Possible values include various types of counters, constants, parent serial numbers, and fields.
- Business Component: Business component selected in the Serialization Rules list.
- Field Name: Select Field name for Type as Field.
- Constant Value: Specify a value of constant for Type as Constant.
- Repeat Step 3 until you define all the attributes required for the serial number.
Note: For More Information, Please read Siebel Public Sector pdf available in bookshelf.The example is also given in that pdf.